You will need:
- The Sew your own Hanging Plant Pot kit
- dress pins
- a plant
Tip: You could use bobby pin hair grips if you don’t have pins.
1. I cut out the hanging plant pot pattern using scissors. Then I folded the felt in half, pinned the pattern to it, and cut the pot out using fabric scissors.
2. Following the instructions, I stitched in some tailor tacks to mark the inner points of the darts.
Then aligned the dart edges on either side of the point I tailored tacked and pinned the fabric together, which makes this funky star shape!
3. I folded and pinned each dart point to the sides of the pot, forming the main shape of the pot.
I checked the pot against the wooden ring, the pot circumference was a little bit too big so I re-pinned the darts to get a snug fit. I also got my sewing assistant Rupert to double-check.
Tip: take your time with pining, it’s a fiddly step, but it’s really important to do before you start sewing the felt into place!
4. Next I sewed the darts in place using a runner's stitch! The large sharp needle made easy work of piercing through the felt.
5. I then attached the three pieces of cord to the pot using a bar tack stitch.
6. I sewed the wooden ring to the pot, threaded the cord around the ring, and tied all three ends of the cord together.
Put in your favourite plant, and hang your plant pot in place in pride of place!
Tip: to make the hanging plant pot waterproof, place a plastic bag at the bottom!
Get crafty in the sun with the Hanging Plant Pot complete kit, everything you need is in the box!
Or if you want an excuse to use your sewing maching, check out our Hanging Plant pot kit of 2. An excellent project to recycle old clothes and scrap fabrics!